Monday 19 August 2013

What a long trip it's been

We shall start where all good stories should start, at the beginning. Nearly 5 years ago I graduated University and got a job at Zipporah. As all jobs go as a graduate, it started with a lot of learning and a lot of menial tasks, a "style this" here and a "make this button green" over there. As time went on I learned more of the business, more of the products and more of the code. Gradually my mistakes slowly disappeared, eventually (rightly or wrongly) client interaction started to come in and I started to find out what issues our clients had and how we could help them.

Time then went on as time does and confidence grew, I got more involved tasks until about a year in, I was made lead developer on a build of a system. Unfortunately, (or fortunately for me as it left a better impression and I learned more), it wasn't the easiest of projects to do, but it went out, went live and I can happily say it is still live to this day with a reasonably low support rate.

From here I kept progressing, kept getting projects and also kept getting to deal with the clients, slowly learning and slowly remembering. This kept going till I hit my about 3 year mark with Zipporah, at this point me and a fellow developer got the chance to make a system from scratch. This led to some tested patience, a lot of learning and some "interesting" discussions, but I have to say the day that went out to clients and it got a good reception it was worth the effort to get there.

A couple more new projects were needed, and as a team we got these implemented and then out to clients. Then the day came for my first solo build from scratch. This was a smaller project, and I have to admit that a few mistakes were made and some stress was had, but as with all good projects, it went live and in even better news it is still live to this day, with one of the lowest support rates of any system for Zipporah.

Now we come to today. About 300 projects, 30 client builds and 4 full system builds later I have been able to revamp our Registrars (most popular) system. It's been a long road to get here, a lot has been learned, a lot has been broken then fixed and a lot has been done to make this the best system for the clients, but you are all starting to get to see it and I am so proud of the system it has become I can't wait to hear the feedback.

Thanks for reading my rambles.

William Lee
Senior Web Developer